ASU will offer Modeling Instruction in CHEMISTRY II: LIVE ONLINE (via Zoom)
The course is for chemistry teachers in high school and community college.
Modeling Instruction in Chemistry II (CHM 594 iCourse. 3 ASU graduate credits optional):
June 7 to 25, 2021
Zoom meetings: MTWTh 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Instructor: Larry Dukerich, original Modeling Workshop leader and leader of Modeling Chemistry course development/refinement team.
Co-leader: Erica Posthuma, University High School in Carmel, Indiana, and an ACS Fellow.
Prerequisite: Modeling Instruction in Chemistry I
This course is for teachers who wish to investigate a model-based approach to concepts not addressed in the Modeling Instruction in Chemistry I course. These include an evidence-based treatment of the internal structure of the atom, periodicity and covalent bonding, intermolecular forces, equilibrium and acids & bases. This should appeal to teachers of an honors or AP course whose students can move through basic concepts more rapidly. The course builds on models, pedagogy, and content of previous units.
Modeling Instruction teaches students to think, to be autonomous life-long learners. It infuses 21st century skills into rigorous disciplinary content.
Also offered this summer at ASU:
Modeling Instruction in Chemistry I (iCourse, June 7 to July 13) & 4 COURSES in physics!
* ASU graduate credit (top priority!). ASU tuition/fees ~$2100 for 3 credits (AZ residents). Apply to ASU at https://admission.asu.edu/graduate/nondegree . $70 application fee.
We are in The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, at Tempe campus.
* CEUs (limited number of spaces; you need NOT apply to ASU.) APPLY NOW to reserve a seat. ($400 registration fee for AZ teachers, $650 non-AZ teachers) at:
* K-12 certified teachers in AZ: apply NOW to ADE for a $2,000 professional development (PD) scholarship to add physics or chemistry certification, or to prepare to qualify to teach dual enrollment. Info at http://modeling.asu.edu/AZ/$2000scholarships-retrainSTEM.pdf .
* Rural AZ teachers: possible stipend of ~ $2500 from County Supt. Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Ask your principal for Title II funds, or funds from M&O, or REAP, or American Rescue Plan/CARES, to pay registration fee or ASU tuition.
* AZ high school teachers: APPLY NOW for partial tuition scholarship, at
Scholarship funds are from Phoenix companies, chiefly ON Semiconductor Foundation.
Syllabi and info: http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html
- TUSD to Offer Summer Science PD Workshops
- ASTA Offering FREE Webinars in April